Jun 28, 2010

'Hoo Hoo' Has a New Duvet?

John's duvet is finished!!! So, for those of you on the edge of your seat, the owl fabric was used for the duvet. This was quite the project since I wasn't using any instructions and just kind of figured it out along the way. So, a project that I thought might take one night took several nights (and several curse words and more than once John was this close to getting a store-bought duvet). But here it is (Brad was so kind to hold it up for me!) and here is how I made it.





{Now, remember, I said I figured it out as I went, so these are the steps I would follow if I did this again. I am not doubting there are easier ways to make a duvet cover, but this worked for me!}

Supplies to make a twin duvet:
-I used 6.5 yards of the top material (cute owls!) and 6 yards of the brown backing material. Due to the way it is pieced together, you will have left over material. (Yeah for new pillows!)
-trim (optional!)
-velcro, thread, pins, scissors, etc

Steps to make a twin duvet:

1. Sewing Panels

The material I bought wasn't wide enough for the duvet so I had to sew panels together. For the brown material, it was about 44 inches wide so I had one piece that was 44 inches wide and 95 inches long. This would be my center panel.



I didn't want a seam right down the middle of the duvet, so I took a 2nd piece of the same dimensions as above and cut it in half lenght wise. Now I had two pieces that were 22 inches wide and 95 inches long.



Then I pinned the shorter pieces on either side of the center panel.



After sewing all the way down the length of the panels, now I had one wide piece of material without a seam down the middle!

{SIDENOTE} You can also use a flat bed sheet for the backing material which I believe is already wide enough. If I had to make a duvet cover again, I would use a sheet because then you don't have to piece anything together!

I repeated the process with the owl material. (Well, I lied. You should repeat the process with your top material. I cheated and only added a short panel to one side because I only needed a couple more inches since the owl material was much wider to begin with. But, this was cheating and I only did it because this part of the duvet won't be seen in the room so I cut corners! In case you were wondering, this is when I cursed for the first time during the project b/c I didn't line up the pattern correctly. UGH! So, be careful when you try to piece together patterned material!)

2. Hemming

Hem one end of your material. I turned under the ends about an inch and then turned that under again and sewed about a 1/2 inch hem. This is for the opening to insert/remove the comforter so you can wash the duvet cover.

3. Adding Trim

I decided to be fancy and add a braided cord trim. To do this, I laid the owl material face up on the floor. Then I took the old duvet cover and laid it on top, lining it up against the hemmed edge. I could now use the old cover as a pattern and just pin the trim around it. Be sure to pin the trim on the right side of the top material with the trim towards the center and the 'sewing edge' of the trim up against the edge of the material. You only need to put the trim on the sides and the bottom of the duvet cover. I didn't put it on the top where John's head would be...probably wouldn't be super comfy! Using the zipper foot for your machine (woohoo...first time to use my zipper foot!), sew the trim as close to the actual trim as possible.


(you can see the old duvet in this pic that I used as a guide!)



(now when you take away the old duvet, your trim is pinned to the exact measurements you need!)

4. Sewing the Top and Bottom Together

To sew the top and bottom pieces together, lay the backing material face up on the floor. Then lay the top material face down on top of the backing with hemmed edges lined up. At this point, right sides should be together. (I again used my old duvet cover as a guide to know how long the duvet should be.) Pin around the edges, making sure to leave a pretty big hole at the bottom to insert the comforter. Sew around the edge, remembering to leave that hole open at the bottom! After sewing, trim all excess material and trim corners.



5. Finishing up the Hole!

Almost done!!! Looking at the hole you left, it looks kind of sloppy IF you used trim. (If you didn't use trim, it probably looks pretty good!). I pinned the sewing edge of the trim to the wrong side of the top material and sewed it in place. Now it won't be sagging and ugly.



Then I added 4 sections of velcro along the edges for closure. Buttons would be super cute, but I don't know how to make button holes yet so I again cut corners and stuck with the tried and true velcro!




6. DONE!

If you made it this far, your duvet cover is done! Insert a plush comforter, close up the velcro, and then pat yourself on the back.









I can't wait to see it in John's new room. I am hoping we start get it set up in the next week or so!!

6 comments:

  1. YAY! It looks great!!! I like your new signature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good!!!! Want to make one for me???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em- won't be making another duvet cover for a long time...unless you want to give me lots of money for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic! I need to find some time to try making one for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so cute! You know that I love the OWL fabric! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)