Aug 27, 2012

Playroom!!

Our playroom is mostly done. At least, as done as it is going to be for a while. So I thought I would share how it turned out.

We ended up with this:



but let's not get ahead of ourselves!

We started with a large room and a crapload of toys. We dumped all the kid stuff in this room when we moved in, but didn't have storage or furniture for it for about a month. Quite the mess! I felt stressed out every time I went into that room!







Since I sat in this room everyday (on the floor!) for a month while the boys played, I had plenty of time to think about what I wanted and how I wanted it organized. First things first, we needed storage. This room is pretty much a media room that we were using as a playroom. So there were no closets or cabinets for storage. Just a huge open space, which is perfect for us! So figured out that I could buy four pieces of white furniture from Ikea to build a wall to wall storage area for the left-hand wall. Well, it almost goes the full length of the wall. There is a space of about 10 inches which worked out well because I could fit the boy's big car toy in that slot.





I made the road on the top of the shorter bookcases, which I posted about HERE.



Eventually I will make vinyl labels for the white buckets, but I need to wait until I borrow the cricut from my sister. This is one of many things I still want to do in this room.

I love the bigger end pieces because it fits the bigger car toys well. It also stores our puzzles and some of our art supplies we use often. The rest of our art supplies are in a hall closet out of reach to minimize messes!







Looking into the room, we added a couch (my favorite part of the room!) that has recliners. Seriously, after sitting on the floor for a month, this couch is awesome! I got it at an outlet store nearby so it was brand new for only $300. Wow! The striped pillows were made from a floor pillow from Ikea that my mother-in-law cut it in half to make two smaller pillows. I made the blue pillow and have intentions of making a second one. But my sewing machine is not up to par and I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I would like to add some kind of window treatment, but not sure what yet.



Next to the couch I put an old school desk to use as a side table. It also is another surface for the boys to build towers or drive their cars.



Looking to the right of the room, this is what you see. (and see how little the boys look...the room is really big! I had a lot of wall space to fill up which is daunting!)



I used a curtain rod and curtain hangers to make an art display at the top of the wall. This was super easy because we already had the supplies! You can tell who painted which picture because Matthew will sit and paint until he paints a hole in the paper whereas John will paint for about 1 minute and says he is all done. :)

I also added an art area for the boys. The kids table and chairs is from Ikea that we already had. (I feel like Ikea sponsored this room!) I used a coated table cloth from Walmart to make the table cloth using THIS tutorial. I love not having to worry about marking up the table and can take it off if we aren't doing an art project. I got the white hanging containers from Ikea which holds some markers, stickers, and glue.



The magnetic boards from Ikea (shocking!) and the boys love them. I don't keep magnets on our fridge because they are so messy and the boys just like to shove them under the fridge. So these were perfect for our room!



I posted about the Play Nice signs HERE and you can download them for free!




So, that about wraps it up! The boys love the new set up in the playroom and we are in here every day. One day I will finish up the last of the details, but I am just happy the room is 'done'. :)

Please be a fan of lil Mop Top on facebook!! I link up to these parties!

4 comments:

  1. love it! i needed some inspiration for our play room and this helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I need to organize our play room soon. It's a disaster zone! Drives me nutso!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, i looove how organized it is, and that art display area is great. now to make sure your kiddos keep it this way, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous transformation. I love the road on top of the bookcase idea, and the artwork hanging from the rail!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! They make my day when I read them!...unless you are being mean, then they don't make my day. :)